Watch the video and share your opinions. What are your predictions for the future?
Utopia was an essay written by Thomas Moor describing and ideal, imaginary island community. This term has been applied since the to concepts such as an ideal and perfect state or community.
According to this, what a utopian society would it be like? Include as many details as possible.
In a DYSTOPIA we have a futuristic, imagined universe, in which we have the illusion of a perfect society. With dystopias, writers show their concern about humanity and society. They make criticism about social norms, politics, or some trends. They are like warnings that things can go from bad to worse without anyone realizing.
Now watch this prezi presentation and check if you were right in your guessings and ideas.
Have a look at the following extract. It is from the novel 1984 by George Orwell.
What's going on? How do you feel about it?Do you see any dystopian element? Think of the characteristics mentioned above and look for some in this excerpt.
WHAT DO YOU THINK IT MAY HAPPEN NEXT? Continue the story with your own words.(180 words approx.)
The Giver by Lois Lowry is a very popular book where you will see some of the aspects discussed before. We have a group of people living an ideal, utopic life. Little by little we learn that all that glitters is not gold...
In the 1-5 Chapters you have to study, take into account the following:
- Why would a community choose to eliminate differences?
- Talk about Jonas. How is he depicted in the opening chapters? Does he show any differences with the rest (friends, family, etc)?
- What do you think about the setting?
- Describe the community and how it works. Compare it with the world you live in. Who rules the Community? What 's an Olygarchy?
- Family relationships. What do we learn in the first chapters. Analyse the way they talk, how close they are, etc. What's your opinion about the mum and dad? and about Lily?
- Friends and social aspects. What do you think of Jonas friends? Has something called your attention?
- Does anyone show resilience in the book? or at least these first 5 chapters?