These people are willing to risk everything on a perilous journey to reach Europe. What do you think about that? Should Europe be spending money and resources to try to solve the problem?
Watch the following video and answer the questions.
1. When did they begin to use the term "refugee" ?
2. What´s the difference between "migrants" and "refugees"?
3. Describe the way they have to travel and flee from their countries. Give as many details as possible and mention some of the problems they may come across.
4. What´s the aim of refugees camps? What´s the reality?
5. What´s "asylum"?
6. What problems do they have to face when they are in a new country?
The Syrian conflict has torn the country apart. Thousands of people have been killed and millions try to flee their homes. Have a look at this website SYRIAN JOURNEY and try to follow their journey to understand the real dillemmas they have to face. Follow the instructions and click on the different sections depending on your personal choices. Try to finish the adventure . Once you finish, try to write down a summary of the whole process. Include your feelings and reactions.
PRESENTATION: With the information from the video and the things you have read in the Syrian journey , try to make a presentation including the following aspects:
- Include 2 personal stories of 2 people who have made the crossing across the Mediterranean sea. Try to explain where they come from, why they have run away, what the journey was like and what kind of hopes they have now.
- What´s your opinion about the topic. Include information about the Government actions, Europe regulations, what´s your opinion about the contributions of refugees to you and your country.
- There are organizations that are campaigning and trying to get help. Do you know any? Look for one you like or you have heard of. Explain the things they do, how they get money and funds to help, and any thing you consider relevant.